Saturday, January 24, 2009

More about fonts

I keep seeing the term 'Word Art' popping up on blogs and forums. Word Art. Hmmm. Used to be called calligraphy. The art of beautiful writing.
I've always, always been enamored of the written word. Not just what it says, but how it looks. I started out in grade school practicing and practicing my cursive writing so that I would be the best cursive writer in the class. I was. I used to copy entire chapters from books just because I love the 'feel' of writing.
It was no surprise to me when I picked up a quill pen that the beautiful calligraphic letter forms would flow from my fingers almost effortlessly. Don't get me wrong, learning a new alphabet is hard work and takes much practice and discipline, but it was effortless because it is such a joy.

So now that computers have taken over my life and my creativity, I don't spend my time dipping a pen tip into a jar of ink. The 'undo' button is my constant companion and a blessing. (When you're putting ink to paper... man, it's there. There is no undo.)
The choice of fonts is almost endless. 20 or so years ago, there was presstype. You could get the big fat book with a few hundred fonts to choose from and the world was a great place to be. Now... there are thousands, possibly millions of fonts to choose from and the world is a FABULOUS place to be.
And there are new fonts being created every day.
Just for me.
Okay... for you too.

2 comments:

Trouble said...

um, did I know you had a blog? Do you understand that I need to know? Now everyone will know you have a blog...

Rebecka said...

Bring em on! I blogstalk all of you guys so it's only fair.
Thank's for making the very first comment on here. Now maybe others won't be so shy.